January 2016 2
Petite microgreens have been increasingly used over the past 20 to 30 years, especially in upscale restaurants. Fine dining restaurants make up about 10% of total American restaurant sales, and those sales have been up 3% over the past year. This means that while only a small segment of the population has had regular exposure to this specialty produce product, the exposure has been steadily increasing. Petite microgreens are now becoming far more mainstream, which has led to some confusion as to what a microgreen actually is and how it should be used.
What are Microgreens?
Edible flowers have become some of the most fascinating and interesting ways to make any dish instantly more appealing, flavorful, and entertaining. If you’re looking for a way to use edible flowers in your daily dishes, here are a few simple tips:
- Not every flower is edible (of course), and the ones that are edible have different flavors which make them better suited for certain dishes. For a garnish on a main or side dish that has a savory flavor, bean blossoms or miniature pansies are good additions. For a sweet dish or dessert, consider using lavender, roses, or violets.
- Crystallized flowers also make great additions to dishes, and they add an extra-special aesthetic to any dessert. These flower (more…)
Top Green Tea Diet
A bar mitzvah is a very important ceremony within the Jewish community. This ceremony celebrates a boy who has turned 13. In addition, this marks the beginning of this boy’s life as a man and also to take part in public worship. For many Jewish families, a bar mitzvah is one of the most important [...]
For busy people, getting the recommended fruits and vegetables can be difficult. It’s important to have at least two and a half cups a day if not more, according to U.S. Dietary Guidelines. Doing so can actually significantly decrease your risk of cardiovascular disease. But in our busy world, family life and fast paced careers [...]
As businesses look for great ideas to propel their operations, food service management is one of those important strategic decisions that have a direct impact on your business. Hiring a corporate cafeteria service provider allows your organization to focus on the most important part of the business and leaving the experts in charge of the [...]
Health and Fitness
- Well: War Wounds That Time Alone Can’t Heal
Moral injury resembles post-traumatic stress disorder with an added burden of guilt, and requires different treatment. [...]
- Well: Direct-to-Consumer Lab Tests, No Doctor Visit Required
Firms promise to help consumers spot metabolic red flags. Critics say the services persuade healthy people to seek unneeded treatment. [...]
- Well: A Doctor on Schedule, Rarely on Time
Everyone can tell when I’m behind. Every visit is pared to essentials. Paperwork is postponed, chatting minimized. [...]
- Well: Early Puberty in Girls Raises the Risk of Depression
Those who developed breasts younger than their peers had a higher risk of depression, a new study found. [...]
- Well: Think Like a Doctor: The Tired Gardener Solved!
Readers solve the case of a previously healthy 67-year-old gardener who is too exhausted and feverish to garden. [...]