People love their chocolate. Each year, more than 7.2 million metric tons of it is consumed by people worldwide. Europeans eat the most of any group on the planet. At least half of retail chocolate sales take place on that continent. In fact the average person in Britain, Switzerland and Germany eats about 24 pounds of chocolate a year. They eat more chocolate than seafood! For dark chocolate lovers, there is very good news. It is good enough for you to want to buy dark chocolate bulk
- Dark chocolate has a lot of nutrients. Dark chocolate bulk is jam packed with nutrients. If you have a 100 gram dark chocolate bar, you will get 67% of your iron for the day, 58% of your magnesium, 89% of the copper you need and almost all of the manganese (98%). It will also give you 11 grams of fiber and a bunch of selenium, phosphorous and potassium. Forget milk, dark chocolate does a body good. Though 100 grams of chocolate is a lot so that might not be for one sitting. Though if you are worried about the sugar, you can get unsweetened dark chocolate and then sweeten it with a non-sugar substitute.
- It is loaded with antioxidants. Everyone seems to be looking to get more antioxidants into their system. One way to measure how much of these are in a food is the Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity (ORAC). When tested, if you take unprocessed cocoa beans have a very nigh ORAC score. This means they are loaded with compounds that prevent free radicals from doing their thing. Dark chocolate has a ton of organic compounds that are good for you such as polyphenols, catechins and flavanols.
- You can lower your blood pressure and imporve blood flow with dark chocolate. If you need another reason to buy dark chocolate bulk, it could be your blood pressure. Flavanols have been shown to lower blood pressure by stimulating the endothelium (your arteries’ lining) and that produces nitric oxide. Nitric oxide gets your arteries to relax, which lowers your blood pressure. Dark chocolate is full of flavanols. This does not mean you should stop taking your blood pressure medication, if you are on any. It just means, if you feel relaxed after some pure dark chocolate, there may be a good reason for that.
- It raises your good cholesterol and lowers the bad. If you eat dark chocolate bulk, you can do other things to protect your heart. Some research has shown that cocoa powder lowered the oxidized LDL (bad cholesterol) in men and increased the HDL (good cholesterol). When the LDL molecule is oxidized, it is active and set to damage the lining of your arteries. Given all of the antioxidants in dark chocolate, this result should be no surprise.
- Dark chocolate can help with insulin resistance. This is an important benefit for people who are at risk for developing diabetes. Insulin resistance is a first step towards that deadly disease.
- Help your heart with dark chocolate. Older men who were given cocoa powder saw the risk of death from cardiovascular disease drop by nearly 50%. This was over a period of 15 years. It has been shown that eating dark chocolate two times a week or more will lower the risk that people will develop calcified plaque in their arteries by nearly 32%. It has to be eaten at least twice a week so stock up by buying dark chocolate bulk! Eaten five times or more a week and the risk of cardiovascular disease drops by 57%.
- It acts like a sunscreen. Studies show that flavanols will protect you from sun damage to your skin. It improves the blood flow to the skin. It also has been shown to increase skin hydration and density. This increases the minimal erythemal dose (MED). That is the smallest dose of UVB rays that will cause a burn. The higher the MED, the better able to take the sun. Dark chocolate helps skin naturally protect itself from the harmful rays of the sun. (Still wear sunscreen.)
At the end of the day, dark chocolate tastes great and has some real health benefits that cannot be denied.