When you first glance at it on a supermarket shelf, hummus might not look all that appealing. Its tan color and unfamiliar texture might even make it seem like it tastes bad.
However, that assumption couldn’t be farther from the truth. Hummus is both great-tasting and great for your health! Mainly made from chickpeas, hummus can be traced back as far as 13th-century Egypt. It also has origins throughout the Middle East, with distinct varieties originating in places like Palestine, Egypt, Yemen, Syria and Israel.
Here are five reasons you won’t regret trying hummus:
1. There’s a flavor for everyone: Hummus comes in a variety of flavors, meaning there’s bound to be at least one you’ll love. From roasted garlic hummus dip to roasted red pepper hummus dip, the range of tasty hummus flavors out there will have your tastebuds craving more!
2. Hummus is versatile: While hummus on its own makes a wonderful snack between meals as a dip for pita bread or veggies, there are also a ton of recipes using hummus as well. It works especially well in Mediterranean dishes. Incorporating hummus into your dishes is a wonderful way to enrich mealtime. You can even spread some roasted garlic hummus dip onto your sandwiches to make every bite pack a delicious punch!
3. It’s good for you: You can enjoy all the roasted garlic hummus dip you want without worrying about your waistline. Hummus contains only about 25 calories and 2 grams of carbohydrates per tablespoon! It’s also an excellent source of protein and contains beneficial vitamins like calcium, riboflavin, vitamin B6 and potassium.
4. It can keep you motivated: In addition to warding off cravings and keeping you full due to its protein content, hummus also contains iron, which boosts your energy. Having some hummus before you hit the gym can help you run those extra 10 minutes!
5. It will keep you fuller, longer: Because of its protein and fiber content, you’ll stay full for a long time, which can help with weight management by reducing snacking.
There are so many reasons why you should be eating hummus. Try it once, and you’ll be hooked!